My friends and I had a dream
One foggy Northern California night hanging around
We made a pact to share our most sacred dreams
I told you mine was that my dream could be found
We conjured heroes in the candlelight
But they all flickered and burned out before the end
So you’d be mine and I would be to you
What I have been for nobody else since then
I don’t know how it all got started
This technicolor quilt of temporary friendships I have sewn
But if I meet you out there in the cold again my friend
I hope you’ll know that you can wear it as it were your own
We laughed and cried, and drank on through the night
Looked each other so deeply in the eye
Huddled near and feared to fall asleep
And if we did that our dream may die
At last the fire passed out, the night heaved up a sigh
Maybe I dreamt and maybe I was only stoned
When the morning took us by surprise
I awoke to find I was alone
1998
No comments:
Post a Comment