Friday, December 12, 2008

As If to Say

Of all her pretty, sober faces my favorite feigned a strange concern
Stronger fuels dripped off her tongue than all her heartfires ever burned
Love-empty eyes look through me with about an ounce of pretense
She’s laid her clothes out on the bed,
I know she’s chosen to walk out instead of hearing
My last lines of defense

As if to say, “You’re doin’ fine? Then so am I.”
As if today were any other blowing by
As if to say, “You’re doin’ fine? Then so am I.”
As if to say “I’m leaving before you say goodbye.”

She left her magazines of fashion with everything else she outdated
With all the fools who loved a girl whose every jeweled word was jaded
She gave be back my book of poems, never even turned a page
Now all those ‘accidental’ lies I meant
I wish she’d give back the time I spent on
All those lines of age

In all my sprawling, empty places my favorite pain remains to learn
That empty hearts yearn to become a home for someone to return
Love-painted eyes look into me and I feel every last ounce of suspense
You’ve broken down my ancient lines
And left me knowing I don’t mind
This time it’s life in present tense


1996

No comments:

Post a Comment